About Community Foundations
Starting a Community Foundation
Is your community group interested in starting a community foundation? Community Foundations of Canada (CFC) can help.
Before contacting CFC:
- Consult our Community Foundation Finder to find out if a community foundation exists in your area. Establishing a Community Fund at an existing community foundation is another option to consider and discuss with CFC.
- Read our Criteria for membership in CFC.
- You can get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1.613.236.2664 ext. 301.
- We will tell you whether there are other groups actively working to establish a community foundation in your area and put you in touch.
- We will provide a package of information explaining how to register as a charity and apply for designation as a public foundation.
As you proceed, we will provide other resources to help ensure your formal application meets regulatory and legislative requirements and that your new community foundation is strong and viable.
FOR INTERNATIONAL VISITORS:
- Please visit CFC's Publications for our comprehensive instructional manuals on how to develop and manage community foundations.
- Visit the Worldwide Initiatives for Grantmaker Support (WINGS) website to see if there is an organization in your country or region that supports community foundation